LindseyShu

Lindsey's Literary Life

A Discovery of Witches: A Novel (All Souls Trilogy)

A Discovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness Discovery of Witches is basically a mass market paranormal romance dressed up in a fancy cover and A LOT of extra words. Luckily, I'm a mass market paranormal romance kind of girl and that's what kept me reading through all the history wordiness (seriously, I can't stress the amount of words in this book enough,I'm pretty sure this is the longest book ever written.) I thought I would never get through it but ultimately it was worth all the time I spent with it. In the end there's something to be said for books that are lengthy enough to allow relationships and plot lines to be developed. The length and depth demands a certain amount of dedication and involvement and by the end I certainly felt involved with Diana and Matthew and what promises to be an epic journey. I did wish for more action, both romantically and just in general, and the pacing of the narrative was slow at times. However, the end was dead-on and was just enough of a cliff-hanger to leave me anxious for the next installment.